Mike’s practice focuses on the clearance, prosecution, enforcement and licensing of trademarks and copyrights. Mike regularly advises clients on domestic and international trademark portfolio management, copyright protection and fair use and domain name acquisitions and disputes. He has significant experience advising digital media and entertainment clients, including on pre-publication clearance of editorial and branded video content and the use of trademarks and titles in creative works and advertising campaigns. Mike’s experience also includes drafting and negotiating software, data and merchandise license agreements and conducting intellectual property diligence for transactional matters.
Representative Client Work
Trademark and Copyright Advising and Enforcement
- Represents clients in U.S. and international trademark selection and clearance, filing and prosecution, and maintenance and renewal, including in the media and entertainment, gaming and gambling, fantasy sports, consumer products, fitness, apparel, software and technology, consulting and professional services, food and beverage and financial services industries.
- Represented clients in hundreds of pre-litigation trademark and copyright enforcement actions worldwide, including through cease and desist letters, oppositions and cancellations.
- Represented Vice Media, The Guardian, DraftKings, Kawhi Leonard and Bain & Company, among others, in Trademark Trial and Appeal Board proceedings.
- Represented Dassault Systemes, a leading CAD software company, in its U.S. volume antipiracy program targeting thousands of infringers.
- Prosecuted over 1,600 copyright applications for video, literary, visual arts, and sound recording works with the U.S. Copyright Office.
Licensing and Transactions
- Represent OneTen Coalition, a startup non-profit organization, as outside general counsel, including in negotiating and drafting master services agreements, SaaS agreements, software and technology licensing agreements and non-disclosure agreements.
- Represented a software intelligence platform provider in negotiating and drafting software license agreements, SaaS agreements and professional services agreements.
- Represented a fitness hardware and platform startup in its negotiation and drafting of agreements for production of integrated workout training videos.
- Represented Vice Media in its acquisition of trademark rights and domain names and negotiation of manufacturing, sales, distribution and licensing agreements.
- Represented A.T. Cross, a writing instrument company, as intellectual property counsel in its sale of a global trademark portfolio of over 850 marks in 100 countries.
Media, Entertainment and Advertising
- Represented a leading global news organization in negotiating and drafting literary option agreements with studios including Universal, Warner Bros. and CBS.
- Advised on clearance of news and documentary content for television and digital broadcast, including copyright fair use, trademark, publicity, privacy and First Amendment issues.
- Provided pre-publication review of advertising and white label content for brands including Google, IBM, Nike, Adidas, Geico, L’Oréal and Harley Davidson.
- Advised on legal implications of media and advertising content concerning cannabis and related consumer merchandise.
- Represented filmmaker Ian McFarland in copyright fair use, license and release review for the Showtime feature-length music documentary, The Godfathers of Hardcore.
Bar & Court Admissions
- New York
- U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
- J.D., cum laude, Boston College Law School
- B.A., Boston College
- International Trademark Association
- Publications Committee (2022-2023)
- New York Intellectual Property Law Association
- Member, Copyright Committee
- Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts
- New York City Bar Association
Awards & Honors
- "Ones to Watch," Best Lawyers in America®, Intellectual Property Law (2021, 2022)
- "Rising Star" New York Metro Super Lawyers (2020, 2021)
- "Rising Star" Massachusetts Super Lawyers (2018, 2019)
- First Place, 2012 Association of SEC Alumni Writing Competition
Bloomberg Law, QuotedNovember 12, 2021
New York Super Lawyers MagazineSeptember 30, 2021
CisionMay 18, 2021
World Trademark Review 1000 (WTR 1000)February 15, 2021
Client AlertFebruary 10, 2021
Press ReleaseDecember 11, 2020
Sullivan Participates in Drafting a Response to Questionnaire on Digital Millennium Copyright Act ReformPress ReleaseDecember 14, 2020
Client AlertDecember 2, 2020
New York Metro Super Lawyers MagazineSeptember 29, 2020
World Trademark Review, QuotedSeptember 18, 2020
Thomson Reuters Practical LawMay 31, 2020
Client AlertApril 28, 2020
Client AlertApril 2, 2020
Client AlertDecember 10, 2019
New England Super Lawyers MagazineOctober 17, 2019
New England Super Lawyers MagazineOctober 18, 2018
March 9, 2017
- "Going Dutch: The Effects of Domestic Restriction and Foreign Acceptance of Class Litigation on American Securities Fraud Plaintiffs," 53 B.C. L. REV. 1847 (2012)
- "Resurrecting the Spirit of the Law: Copyright Preemption and Idea Protection in Montz v. Pilgrim Films," 53 B.C. L. REV. E. SUPP. 209 (2012)
Seminars & Presentations
- International Trademark Association's 2019 Annual Meeting
International Trademark Association (INTA) (May 21, 2019)
- Fair is Fair - An Exploration of Copyright Fair Use Principles
Northeastern University, School of Journalism (November 27, 2018)