George is a general commercial litigator with particular experience in securities and employment litigation. He regularly represents clients in the financial services industry, including investment banks, commercial banks, broker/dealers, insurance companies and accounting firms. He has tried over 30 cases to judgment or award in courts, administrative agencies and arbitrations throughout the country, including Arizona, Arkansas, California, the District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania and Texas.
Representative Client Work
- Obtained a judgment of more than $40 million for a European bank against a Middle Eastern bank for the failure to reimburse on a so-called synthetic letter of credit. The defendant attempted to avoid reimbursement claiming it was not subject to jurisdiction and was defrauded in connection with the underlying transaction
- Successfully defended a former specialist on the New York Stock Exchange in a 10-week enforcement hearing before the Securities & Exchange Commission. The SEC sought, inter alia, a fraud finding and a fine. After hearing, the Administrative Law Judge found no fraud, but recommended a fine of over $300,000. The NYSE declined to impose the fine
- Persuaded the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit to vacate decisions of the district court and bankruptcy court, thereby reinstating the claim of our client, an investment bank
- Successfully defended a satellite telephony provider in a two-week trial in Pittsburgh in which the plaintiff sought $48 million in damages over the termination of a dealership
- Successfully represented a large, privately held company in a myriad of law suits and administrative proceedings in New York brought by former employees in the wake of the client's down-sizing
- Successfully defended a law firm in a gender discrimination case before the EEOC in Washington, D.C.
Bar & Court Admissions
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- J.D., Fordham University School of Law, Articles Editor, Fordham Urb. L.J. American Jurisprudence awards in contracts and securities
- A.B., Columbia College, Columbia University
Client AdvisoryDecember 11, 2015