Erika's practice includes complex, commercial, art and employment litigation. She also advises clients on employment matters.
Erika represents individual and institutional clients at each stage of the litigation process, from pre-suit negotiations to trial and appeal. She has argued before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit and represented clients at the Supreme Court of the United States.
Erika also serves as the co-chair of Sullivan's Women's Initiative.
She is a director of the Harvard Law School Association of Massachusetts, where she leads an annual mentoring program and coordinates other initiatives. Prior to joining the firm, Erika was an associate at a boutique litigation firm in Boston.
Representative Client Work
- Represented numerous institutional and individual clients at trial before various courts in Massachusetts, including the Business Litigation Session of the Superior Court and the Probate and Family Court. Most recently, in 2021, Erika has presented evidence in trials before the U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts and in arbitration at the American Arbitration Association.
- Counsel to heirs of Holocaust victims in a suit for restitution of the Guelph Treasure, which was sold under duress in 1935 to agents of the Prussian government. The D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals upheld a ruling that the U.S. has jurisdiction over the German state museum in Philipp v. F.R.G., 894 F.3d 406 (D.C. Cir. 2018). The U.S. Supreme Court granted certiorari in 2020; Erika was on the merits brief and assisted in preparation for argument (held in December of 2020).
Defended real estate investment firm and its employee against allegations of wrongdoing, including of fraud, brought in the U.S. District Court (D. Mass.). Secured dismissal of all claims against clients at summary judgment. Briefed and argued case to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit, which affirmed the dismissal.
- Represented a Massachusetts landowner in a breach of contract suit that a would-be real estate purchaser filed in Land Court. Achieved dismissal of the suit and an award of attorney’s fees. When the purchaser appealed to the Massachusetts Appeals Court, secured affirmation of judgment and additional attorney’s fees.
- Represented members of the Berkshire Museum in litigation concerning a proposed sale of art to fund museum operations.
- Represented a former employee who alleged that her termination resulted from discrimination. Filed a complaint with the MCAD, conducted witness interviews, and obtained affidavits from supportive witnesses, leading to favorable settlement.
- Represented a staffing company in a trade secrets and non-competition case against several former employees who left to create a competing business. Secured a settlement, including an agreement for judgment, before the close of discovery.
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court, Massachusetts
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- Supreme Court of the United States
- J.D., Harvard Law School
- B.A., with High Distinction, University of Virginia
- Boston Bar Association
- Director, Harvard Law School Association of Massachusetts
- Former Co-Chair Boston Ballet School, Boston Ballet Young Partners Council
Awards & Honors
- "Rising Star," Massachusetts Super Lawyers (2020, 2021)
How I Made Partner: 'I Developed a Strong Habit of Saying "Yes" to New Opportunities,' Says Erika Todd of Sullivan & WorcesterLaw.com, QuotedJune 1, 2022
Press ReleaseJanuary 24, 2022
Client AlertNovember 23, 2021
The Boston Globe, QuotedNovember 5, 2021
Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM), QuotedOctober 14, 2021
New England Super Lawyers MagazineOctober 12, 2021
"It Puts Employers In a Difficult Position": Businesses are Stuck Waiting for Federal Vaccine Mandate RulesThe Boston Globe, QuotedOctober 5, 2021
The Christian Science Monitor, QuotedSeptember 20, 2021
Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM), QuotedSeptember 12, 2021
AP News, QuotedSeptember 10, 2021
Multiple News SourcesDecember 2020
Client AlertDecember 3, 2020
Law360, QuotedSeptember 10, 2020
Client AlertJune 24, 2020
Law360, QuotedMay 27, 2020
Client AlertMarch 24, 2020
Law.comDecember 4, 2019
Corporate CounselMay 18, 2018