Vic counsels clients on regulatory compliance and permitting matters in all areas of environmental and land use law. He represents clients with respect to environmental, zoning and other land use aspects of business and real estate transactions and has worked on various major Boston area developments, including waterfront projects. Vic oversees environmental due diligence for acquisitions and financings of residential, industrial and commercial properties throughout the country, representing both domestic and foreign companies. He also represents clients before state and local agencies in seeking permits.
A long-time resident of Hingham, Vic has worked on several of the town’s boards and committees, including the Advisory Committee, the Zoning Board of Appeals and the Zoning Permit Study Committee. Recently, he served as chairman of a subcommittee evaluating a proposal to acquire a private water company servicing Hingham, Hull, and north Cohasset.
Representative Client Work
- Conducted review of practices, policies and procedures of the City of Boston Zoning Board of Appeal and prepared comprehensive memorandum providing recommendations for the improvement of Board practices
- Represents REITs in connection with environmental and land use due diligence for various portfolio and individual acquisitions of industrial, truck stop and gasoline station, office, hotel and senior living properties.
- Represents developer of residential apartment project in Boston's Fenway neighborhood in connection with zoning relief, Article 80 large project review, and other project permits.
- Analyzed zoning and permitting compliance for acquisition of a proposed mixed-use residential development project in Bay Village section of Boston, including affordable housing and other mitigation agreements; prepared zoning opinion for construction financing.
- Represents developer of residential project to be located on an existing solid waste disposal facility, including advice on zoning compliance, permit modifications, environmental contamination issues, and closure of the solid waste facility.
- Analyzed land use compliance of high-rise building developed under PDA master plan in Boston's Back Bay on behalf of foreign investor acquiring a portion of the building.
- Advised client acquiring business in Boston's Raymond Flynn Marine Park as to environmental compliance by existing operations and zoning requirements for potential redevelopment.
- Represented developer of mixed-use tower in Boston’s Seaport District. Handled zoning and environmental permitting issues and related mitigation agreements, drafted Plan Development Area development plan, and addressed issues under Massachusetts Contingency Plan. Project involved Municipal Harbor Plan amendment and Chapter 91 waterways licensing. Drafted zoning and environmental opinions for project financing and worked on environmental indemnity agreements.
- Handled environmental issues in connection with sale of wire coating business located at a former tannery. Addressed issues with buyer relating to historical site contamination, PFAS, and compliance with European Union REACH and California Proposition 65 requirements relating to use and disclosure of chemicals.
- Acted as local counsel for Japanese investor in two Massachusetts power plants. Handled diligence with respect to Clean Air Act and other environmental and land use compliance, as well as site contamination issues. Evaluated status of Energy Facilities Siting Board approval for proposed plant expansion. Worked on disclosure schedule for purchase agreement.
- Advised owner of former industrial site, which had previously received no further action determination for historic environmental contamination, regarding request by Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection to evaluate potential trichloroethylene contamination under new, more restrictive state standards.
- Represented foreign real estate investment trust in connection with environmental and land-use issues related to its initial U.S. acquisition involving 30-property portfolio, including sites subject to an environmental consent decree. Advised as to requirements and liabilities under U.S. and local environmental and zoning law.
- Analyzed potential impact of Rivers Protection Act on proposed redevelopment of former mill property in western Massachusetts.
- Handled environmental issues for borrower in connection with financing for 180 industrial properties in Hawaii. Identified plan to identify and resolve environmental issues to lender's satisfaction and negotiated environmental indemnity agreement.
- Acted as local counsel for buyer of Boston-area automobile dealerships regarding post-closing environmental issues arising under the purchase and sale agreements.
- Reviewed environmental contamination and regulatory compliance issues for investor in industrial mushroom growing business.
- Represented the seller of a soft drink bottling business in negotiating environmental provisions of sales agreement and obtaining environmental insurance.
- Represented a developer of two office towers and 425-room hotel along Boston waterfront with respect to environmental, zoning and other land use regulatory requirements and prepared zoning and environmental opinions for various project financings.
- Represented landowners in obtaining zoning approvals for retail, office, biomedical, restaurant, residential assisted living and school projects.
- Represented a metals manufacturer in connection with a fundamentally different factors variance request to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency from industrial pre-treatment standards under the Clean Waters Act.
- Represented landowners in development and termination of activity and use limitations under Massachusetts environmental laws.
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
- U.S. Tax Court
- J.D., with honors, University of Chicago
- B.A., magna cum laude, Brown University
- American, Massachusetts and Boston Bar Associations
- Editor, Massachusetts Law Review (various editorial positions 1996 - present)
- Member, NAIOP Government Affairs Committee
- Former Member, Town of Hingham Advisory Committee, 2014 - 2021; Chairman 2019 - 2020
- Former Vice Chair, Newsletter Editor for the Climate Change, Sustainable Development and Ecosystems Committee of the American Bar Association’s Section of Environment, Energy, and Natural Resources
- Former Chair, Water Quality Committee of Boston Bar Association
- Former Member, Environmental Law Section Steering Committee, Boston Bar Association
- Former Chair and member, Town of Hingham Zoning Board of Appeals
- Former Chairman, Town of Hingham Zoning Permit Study Committee
Awards & Honors
- Boston Magazine 2021 Top Lawyers, Land Use and Zoning (2021)
- Best Lawyers in America® (2019-2022)
- AV Rated, Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory
- The Legal 500 U.S. (2018-2021)
MCLE's Organizing, Financing, and Advising a Massachusetts BusinessesFebruary 17, 2022
Client AlertJanuary 31, 2022
Press ReleaseNovember 24, 2021
Client AlertJuly 16, 2021
Press ReleaseJune 9, 2021
Boston Business Journal, Boston Globe, Boston Herald, Charlestown Patriot-Bridge, Dorchester Reporter, East Boston Times, CommonWealth MagazineAugust 5, 2020
Press ReleaseJune 10, 2020
Supreme Court Sets Test for Assessing NPDES Permit Requirement for Indirect Discharges of Pollutants Through Groundwater to Navigable WatersClient AlertApril 30, 2020
Massachusetts Governor Files Bill and Issues Executive Order to Ease Permitting Process During COVID-19Client AlertApril 5, 2020
Energy Finance ReportJune 11, 2019
Sullivan Press ReleaseMay 30, 2019
October 11, 2018
- Book review of "Separate: The Story of Plessy v. Ferguson and America's Journey from Slavery to Segregation," Massachusetts Law Review (July 2021)
- Book review of "The Taming of Free Speech: America's Civil Liberties Compromise," Massachusetts Law Review (December 2018)
- Book review of "The Evangelical Origins of the Living Constitution," Massachusetts Law Review (July 2016)
- Book review of "A Thousand Times More Fair: What Shakespeare's Plays Teach Us about Justice," Massachusetts Law Review (December 2013)
- Book review of "Scorpions: The Battles and Triumphs of FDR's Great Supreme Court Justices," Massachusetts Law Review (August 2012)
- Co-authored chapter on "Environmental Considerations," Advising a Massachusetts Business (2011)
Seminars & Presentations
- Lectured and organized programs on various aspects of water pollution control law, environmental diligence, sustainability, toxic substance law and the Massachusetts Oil and Hazardous Material Release, Prevention and Response Act