Vic counsels clients on regulatory compliance and permitting matters in all areas of environmental and land use law. He represents clients with respect to environmental, zoning and other land use aspects of business and real estate transactions and has worked on various major Boston area developments, including waterfront projects. Vic oversees environmental due diligence for acquisitions and financings of industrial and commercial properties throughout the country, representing both domestic and foreign companies. He also represents clients before state and local agencies in seeking permits.
A long-time resident of Hingham, Vic has worked on several of the town’s boards and committees, including the Advisory Committee, the Zoning Board of Appeals and the Zoning Permit Study Committee. Recently, he served as chairman of a subcommittee evaluating a proposal to acquire a private water company servicing Hingham, Hull, and north Cohasset.
Representative Client Work
- Represents REITs in connection with environmental and land use due diligence for various portfolio and individual acquisitions of industrial, truck stop and gasoline station, office, hotel and senior living properties.
- Handled environmental issues in connection with sale of wire coating business located at a former tannery. Addressed issues with buyer relating to historical site contamination, PFAS, and compliance with European Union REACH and California Proposition 65 requirements relating to use and disclosure of chemicals.
- Acted as local counsel for Japanese investor in two Massachusetts power plants. Handled diligence with respect to Clean Air Act and other environmental and land use compliance, as well as site contamination issues. Evaluated status of Energy Facilities Siting Board approval for proposed plant expansion. Worked on disclosure schedule for purchase agreement.
- Represented developer of mixed-use tower in Boston’s Seaport District. Handled zoning and environmental permitting issues and related mitigation agreements, drafted Plan Development Area development plan, and addressed issues under Massachusetts Contingency Plan. Project involved Municipal Harbor Plan amendment and Chapter 91 waterways licensing. Drafted zoning and environmental opinions for project financing and worked on environmental indemnity agreements.
- Advised owner of former industrial site, which had previously received no further action determination for historic environmental contamination, regarding request by Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection to evaluate potential trichloroethylene contamination under new, more restrictive state standards.
- Represented foreign real estate investment trust in connection with environmental and land-use issues related to its initial U.S. acquisition involving 30-property portfolio, including sites subject to an environmental consent decree. Advised as to requirements and liabilities under U.S. and local environmental and zoning law.
- Analyzed potential impact of Rivers Protection Act on proposed redevelopment of former mill property in western Massachusetts.
- Handled environmental issues for borrower in connection with financing for 180 industrial properties in Hawaii. Identified plan to identify and resolve environmental issues to lender's satisfaction and negotiated environmental indemnity agreement.
- Acted as local counsel for buyer of Boston-area automobile dealerships regarding post-closing environmental issues arising under the purchase and sale agreements.
- Reviewed environmental contamination and regulatory compliance issues for investor in industrial mushroom growing business.
- Represented the seller of a soft drink bottling business in negotiating environmental provisions of sales agreement and obtaining environmental insurance.
- Represented a developer of two office towers and 425 room hotel along Boston waterfront with respect to environmental, zoning and other land use regulatory requirements and prepared zoning and environmental opinions for various project financings.
- Represented landowners in obtaining zoning approvals for retail, office, biomedical, restaurant, industrial, residential assisted living and school projects.
- Represented a metals manufacturer in connection with a fundamentally different factors variance request to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency from industrial pre-treatment standards under the Clean Waters Act.
- Represented landowners in development and termination of activity and use limitations under Massachusetts environmental laws.
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
- U.S. Tax Court
- J.D., with honors, University of Chicago
- B.A., magna cum laude, Brown University
- American, Massachusetts and Boston Bar Associations
- Editor, Massachusetts Law Review (various editorial positions 1996 - present)
- Vice Chairman, Town of Hingham Advisory Committee; Member, 2014 - present
- Member, NAIOP Government Affairs Committee
- Former Vice Chair, Newsletter Editor for the Climate Change, Sustainable Development and Ecosystems Committee of the American Bar Association’s Section of Environment, Energy, and Natural Resources
- Past Chair, Water Quality Committee of Boston Bar Association
- Past member, Environmental Law Section Steering Committee, Boston Bar Association
- Former Chair and member, Town of Hingham Zoning Board of Appeals
- Former Chairman, Town of Hingham Zoning Permit Study Committee
Awards & Honors
- Best Lawyers in America (2019-2020)
- AV Rated, Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory
- The Legal 500 U.S. (2018-2019)
Massachusetts Governor Files Bill and Issues Executive Order to Ease Permitting Process During COVID-19Client AlertMarch 27, 2020
Boston Business Journal, Boston Globe, Boston Herald, Dorchester Reporter, Sampan, East Boston Times, CommonWealth MagazineFebruary 24, 2020
Energy Finance ReportJune 11, 2019
Sullivan Press ReleaseMay 30, 2019
October 11, 2018
Press ReleaseMay 30, 2018
Banker & TradesmanJuly 20, 2015
Client AdvisoryJune 15, 2015
Press ReleaseJune 10, 2015
Banker & TradesmanApril 21, 2014
Client AdvisoryApril 1, 2014
Client AdvisoryMarch 18, 2014
U.S. EPA Issues Proposed New Source Performance Standard to Limit Carbon Dioxide Emissions from New Fossil Fuel Electricity Generating Power PlantsClient AdvisoryFebruary 6, 2014
The Supreme Court of the United States Will Consider Application of CERCLA Limitations Period to State Tort Law ClaimsClient AdvisoryFebruary 3, 2014
U.S. Supreme Court Rules in Cross-Border Water Rights Dispute; Oklahoma Scores a Clean Sweep in “Red River Rivalry” with TexasClient AdvisoryJune 24, 2013
EPA Issues Updated Draft General Vapor Intrusion Policy; Agency Also Issues Draft Petroleum Vapor Intrusion GuidanceClient AdvisoryJune 7, 2013
Federal Appeals Court Muddies the Waters: Finds that EPA has the Last Word on Disposal Site Selection Even After Army Corps’ Issuance of a Section 404 PermitClient AdvisoryMay 13, 2013
Recent Developments Create Mounting Uncertainty Concerning EPA’s Regulation of Stormwater Under the Clean Water ActClient AdvisoryJanuary 16, 2013
Law360April 12, 2012
U.S. Supreme Court Authorizes Pre-Enforcement Review of EPA Administrative Compliance Orders Under the Clean Water ActClient AdvisoryMarch 22, 2012
Client AdvisoryMarch 14, 2012
Texas Supreme Court Issues Landmark Decision Addressing Landowners’ Right to Underlying Groundwater ResourcesClient AdvisoryMarch 1, 2012
Client AdvisoryJanuary 23, 2012
Client AdvisoryAugust 23, 2011
Congressional Attempts to Curb U.S. EPA’s Authority to Address Climate Impacts Create Regulatory UncertaintyClient AdvisoryFebruary 11, 2011
- Book review of "The Taming of Free Speech: America's Civil Liberties Compromise," Massachusetts Law Review (December 2018)
- Book review of "The Evangelical Origins of the Living Constitution," Massachusetts Law Review (July 2016)
- Book review of "A Thousand Times More Fair: What Shakespeare's Plays Teach Us about Justice," Massachusetts Law Review (December 2013)
- Book review of "Scorpions: The Battles and Triumphs of FDR's Great Supreme Court Justices," Massachusetts Law Review (August 2012)
- Co-authored chapter on "Environmental Considerations," Advising a Massachusetts Business (2011)
Seminars & Presentations
- Lectured and organized programs on various aspects of water pollution control law, environmental diligence, sustainability, toxic substance law and the Massachusetts Oil and Hazardous Material Release, Prevention and Response Act