Sam advises a broad spectrum of traditional and alternative financial institutions and corporate clients on a range of traditional and innovative trade and export finance products, including pre-export and prepayment finance, letter of credit and payment instrument facilities, as well as working capital and borrowing base financings.
Sam advises extensively on receivables and supply chain finance transactions, encompassing both traditional and bespoke structures. His practice also focuses on the digitalisation of trade, acting for both electronic platform providers and platform participants for a range of digital financing solutions.
He regularly advises on risk distribution techniques, including funded and unfunded participations, standby letters of credit and demand guarantees, and on insurance-related issues. Sam acts on matters in relation to jurisdictions across mainland Europe, CIS, Africa, Asia and the Americas and on a wide range of commodities including oil, gas, metals and softs.
Sam is a regular speaker at Sullivan’s trade and export finance webinars and has presented at events organized by GTR and the International Trade and Forfaiting Association (ITFA)’s Emerging Leaders Committee, having been a member of the ITFA Emerging Leaders Committee since January 2020.
In Chambers UK, 2023, Sam is included as an "Up and Coming" lawyer and in the UK Legal 500, 2023 he is recognised as a "Next Generation Partner."
Bar & Court Admissions
Solicitor, Senior Courts of England and Wales
- College of Law: Legal Practice Course
- University College London: Masters in Public Law and Human Rights
- The Queen’s College, Oxford: Law
- Member of the Emerging Leaders’ Committee, International Trade and Forfaiting Association (ITFA), since 2020
Awards & Honors
- The Legal 500 UK, Trade Finance - London - "Next Generation Lawyer" (2022-2023)
- Chambers UK, Commodities: Trade Finance (UK-wide) - "Up & Coming Lawyer" (2022-2023)
Client AlertOctober 21, 2022
Press ReleaseOctober 20, 2022
Press ReleaseSeptember 28, 2022
ITFA's July 2022 NewsletterJuly 27, 2022
Press ReleaseMay 5, 2022
WorldECRIssue 108, April 2022
flowMarch 10, 2022
Press ReleaseDecember 14, 2021
Press ReleaseOctober 21, 2021
Press ReleaseSeptember 29, 2021
Client AlertJanuary 15, 2021
Press ReleaseJanuary 5, 2021
Press ReleaseDecember 9, 2020
Meeting the Challenges Covid-19 Poses for Trade Finance Transactions: Key Issues to Consider When Making Amendments and WaiversClient AlertSeptember 2, 2020
Client AlertJune 17, 2020
September 27, 2019
Sullivan Press ReleaseJune 28, 2019
Sullivan Press ReleaseMay 3, 2019
Sullivan & Worcester UK LLP Advises Africa Trade Finance on US$160 million Trade Finance Facility for UBAPress ReleaseFebruary 1, 2018
Seminars & Presentations
- Understanding the New Payables Finance Disclosure Rules
Webinar (December 8, 2022)
- Issues With Letters of Credit and How to Deal With Them
Trade & Export Finance Webinar (September 22, 2022)
- Streamlining Commodity Trade Through Digital Trade Platforms: Is The Market Any Closer to Digital Trade Document Adoption?
GTR Commodities - 2022 Geneva (September 20, 2022)
- Key Legal Issues in Trade Finance in 2022
St. Botolphs Church Hall, Bishopsgate, London (March 31, 2022)
- A Practitioner’s Guide to Trade and Commodity Finance – a new edition and beyond
Trade & Export Finance Webinar (January 27, 2022)
- Structuring Trade Finance Transactions Using SPVs: How to Balance the Risks and Rewards
Trade & Export Finance Webinar (October 21, 2021)
- Managing Shifts In Supply Chain Dynamics
GTR UK 2021 (October 19, 2021)
- Financing Receivables — Structures and Issues
Trade & Export Finance Webinar (March 25, 2021)
- Trade Finance in 2020: annus horribilis, lessons for the future or a bit of both?
Zoom virtual program (November 5, 2020)
- Challenges to trade and commodity finance in 2020
Le Restaurant de Paul, London (January 23, 2020)
- Taking, amending and enforcing security in trade finance transactions
(July 18, 2019)
- Insurance and finance case law update
(November 22, 2018)
- Uses of Special Purpose Vehicles (SPVs) in structuring financing transactions
(June 21, 2018)
- Bills of Exchange, Promissory Notes and Other Independent Payment Undertakings
Pinners Hall, 105-108 Old Broad Street, London EC2N 1EN (8.45 - 10.00 am) (July 27, 2017)
- “Crisis, What Crisis?” – What has the industry worried and what should the industry be worried about?
Pinners Hall, 105-108 Old Broad Street, London EC2N 1EN (July 21, 2016)