Experienced in all aspects of real estate law and transactions, Matt's practice primarily focuses on acquisitions, dispositions and financings work for public REIT clients. In particular, Matt provides counsel to REITs in the office, hotel and senior housing industries in connection with their acquisition, disposition, financing and leasing of large portfolios and individual assets throughout the United States.
Matt also represents institutional and portfolio lenders in the origination of single and multiple asset commercial mortgage loans (including securitized lending, CMBS, construction loans and mezzanine financing). He has also counseled clients active in the real estate capital markets with respect to secondary transactions, IPOs, and compliance issues. Matt also represents clients in the context of high value and/or complex residential acquisitions, dispositions and development.
Matt received his J.D. from the American University Washington College of Law, magna cum laude, where he was inducted into the Order of the Coif, and where he served on the American University Law Review and the General Practice Clinic. He is a member of the firm’s Associates Committee.
Representative Client Work
- Represented a fund manager in the creation of the first pure-play US office REIT listed in Asia and the acquisition and financing of the underlying US REIT class-A office properties
- Represented a public REIT in the acquisition of 38 senior living properties across 16 states for approximately $790 million, including $151.6 million of assumed debt
- Assisted a purchaser in a $145 million acquisition transaction involving 14 hotels in 12 states
- Represented a public REIT in an $88 million acquisition a luxury hotel in St. Louis, MO
- Represented the lender in a $16 million leasehold mortgage transaction of a 71,633 square foot, 86-unit, assisted living facility located in Wilmington, MA
- Represented the lender in a $30 million acquisition loan facility for the acquisition and improvement of a Boston financial district office property by a multi-layer borrowing entity
Bar & Court Admissions
- J.D., magna cum laude, American University, Washington College of Law
- B.A., Bates College
- Boston Bar Association