For more than 20 years, Matt’s practice has focused on representing registered investment companies and their independent directors on a broad scope of legal, regulatory, compliance and fund governance matters. He has particular expertise representing the independent directors of all types of investment companies, including retail mutual funds, variable insurance companies, closed-end funds, and exchange-traded funds.
Matt provides guidance on all aspects of the Investment Company Act and Investment Advisers Act and other securities laws and current topics relevant to funds, independent directors, and investment advisers, including with respect to Section 15(c) contract approvals and renewals, oversight of multi-manager and sub-advisory relationships, oversight of affiliated relationships and transactions, disclosure issues, fund governance, ESG matters, cybersecurity, D&O insurance and IDL policies, audit matters, and the launch and reorganizations of funds and fund complexes. He also helps clients develop policies and procedures in connection with new SEC rules and regulations, including with respect to liquidity risk management, derivatives risk management, and fund valuation, as well advise independent directors on their duties and responsibilities related to these new rules.
Matt is known as a loyal adviser to his clients and prides himself on his thoroughness and responsiveness as well as his ability to work well with fund management. Matt’s independent director clients serve on the boards of some of the largest “brand name” mutual fund families in the U.S. Prior to joining to Sullivan, Matt gained valuable, practical in-house experience supporting the registered investment adviser at AIG Investments. He began his investment management career in Paul Hastings’ New York office.
Matt has been highly ranked by Legal 500 for more than a decade. He has also been an industry conference panelist.
Representative Client Work
- Represented independent directors of a fund complex comprised of approximately 200 retail funds, variable insurance funds, closed-end funds, and exchange-traded funds, representing over $200 billion in assets and sub-advised by over 25 investment sub-advisers
- Represented the independent directors of a $200 billion fund complex, which includes one of the largest money market funds in the U.S.
- Represented the independent directors of a fund complex with over 20 closed-end funds, including with respect to issues unique to closed-end funds such as shareholder activists
- Represented a $30 billion variable insurance fund family and its independent directors
- Represented independent directors in connection with sales of asset management businesses and related proxy and disclosure matters
- Represented independent directors in connection with board succession planning and director search processes
Bar & Court Admissions
- New York
- J.D., Fordham University School of Law
- B.A., Georgetown University
Awards & Honors
- The Legal 500 U.S. (2012-2016, 2018-2022)
Press ReleaseJune 8, 2022
Press ReleaseJune 9, 2021
Press ReleaseJune 10, 2020
Client AlertMarch 16, 2020
Sullivan Press ReleaseMay 30, 2019
- Chapter 7, "Mutual Fund Operations," Mutual Funds: Law and Practice, Law Journal Press (co-author) (July 2011)
- Chapter 8, "Independent Accountants and Related Topics," Mutual Funds: Law and Practice, Law Journal Press (July 2011)
- "The Role of the Investment Company Chief Compliance Officer" (co-author), Practicing Law Institute, Mutual Fund Regulation, Clifford E. Kirsch (2006)