Matt focuses his practice on mergers and acquisitions, corporate law, general business transactions and representing institutional and other investors in equity investments particularly joint ventures.
His sports law practice includes the representation of tax-exempt amateur athletic organizations and athletes in a variety of areas, including endorsement contract negotiations and commercial rights. Matt has served as a USATF authorized Athlete Representative and worked as agent/manager for several professional athletes in the sport of track and field.
Prior to joining the firm, Matt was an adjunct instructor at the University of New Hampshire School of Law teaching International and Comparative Sports Law. Matt was a professional runner, sponsored by Nike, and was a member of two U.S. national teams. As a collegiate, he was an 11-time NCAA Division I All-American and the 2001 U.S. Track Coaches Association Athlete of the Year. He is a 2011 inductee to the College of William & Mary Athletic Hall of Fame. In 2002, Matt became the 251st American to run a sub-4 minute mile (3:57.57).
During law school, Matt served as the Executive Editor of the Maine Law Review.
Representative Client Work
- Regularly represents clients in complex sell-side and buy-side M&A transactions across various industries
- Represented a life insurance company in over $150 million in joint venture equity investments in renewable energy projects throughout the United States
- Represented global insurer in the structuring and investing in multiple joint ventures involving commercial and residential real estate development projects valued at over $250 million
- Represented fund sponsors and investors in the structuring of numerous opportunity zone funds and opportunity zone businesses
- Represented developers and sponsors in the structuring of real estate investment funds in various asset classes
- Represented financial institutions in over $1 billion in subscription-secured and other asset-backed credit facilities, including credit facility syndications
- Represented non-profit corporations in successfully obtaining tax-exempt status as 501(c)(3) organizations focused on fostering national and international amateur athletic competition
Bar & Court Admissions
- New Hampshire
- J.D., summa cum laude, University of Maine School of Law
- B.B.A., College of William & Mary
- B.A., College of William & Mary
- Boston Bar Association
Awards & Honors
- The Legal 500 U.S. (2019)
- "Rising Star," Massachusetts Super Lawyers, (2017-2018)
Press ReleaseJanuary 5, 2021
Law360, Mergers & Acquisitions, The Philadelphia Inquirer, Yahoo Finance, Insider MediaSeptember 4, 2019
Sullivan Press ReleaseMay 30, 2019
New England Super Lawyers MagazineOctober 18, 2018