Marian heads Sullivan’s UK insurance and disputes practices, working closely with the firm’s established and multi-disciplinary trade and export finance team, and the firm’s U.S.-based disputes team, providing advice on commercial dispute resolution, insurance and risk management.
With over 30 years' experience, Marian’s contentious experience includes advising clients in relation to disputes arising from trade finance, professional negligence, commercial insurance and breach of contract claims. These disputes are often international in nature and result in large-scale, highly complex multi-party litigation, arbitrations and mediations.
Marian advises banks, insurance brokers, investment funds, government agencies and corporates in relation to their commercial insurance arrangements which support structured trade, commodity and pre-export financings as well as corporate finance, energy, property, M&A and outsourcing transactions.
She advises on the management of insurance claims and subrogation actions and issues arising from the restructuring of insured loans. She also drafts and interprets insurance policies and advises on the use of insurance by credit institutions and investments firms as credit risk mitigation for capital adequacy purposes under the UK’s Capital Requirements Regulation and the EU’s equivalent capital requirements regimes. Marian’s contentious experience informs her approach to policy drafting and eligibility of insurance for use as credit risk mitigation.
Marian was recognized in the 2023 Edition of Best Lawyers, United Kingdom for her work in insurance law.
Bar & Court Admissions
- Solicitor, Senior Courts of England and Wales
- University of Wales
Awards & Honors
- Best Lawyers in the United Kingdom, Insurance Law (2023)
- The Legal 500 UK, Dispute Resolution-Commercial Litigation – Recommended (2017-2021)
Press ReleaseJune 9, 2022
Press ReleaseMay 5, 2022
flowMarch 10, 2022
Client AlertFebruary 10, 2022
Press ReleaseDecember 14, 2021
Press ReleaseOctober 1, 2020
Client AlertJune 5, 2020
Client AlertMay 28, 2020
September 27, 2019
Trade Finance Global (TFG)September 3, 2019
Sullivan Press ReleaseJune 28, 2019
Global Trade Review, QuotedJune 25, 2019
Sullivan Press ReleaseJune 11, 2019
Sullivan Press ReleaseMay 3, 2019
Trade Finance Global (TFG)’s Women in FinanceMarch 8, 2019
October 30, 2018
Building MagazineOctober 11, 2017
Seminars & Presentations
- ITFA Insurance Committee Event and Insurance Awards Ceremony, 2022
ITFA (International Trade and Forfaiting Association) Paris, France (June 21, 2022)
- The Anatomy of Non-Payment Insurance Policies: What Should Policy Holders Look (and Look Out) For?
Trade & Export Finance Webinar (May 26, 2022)
- Claims Round Table: Industry Insights Into 2020
ExCred Commodities: Insuring Commodity and Project Finance (September 17, 2019)
- PRA Policy Statement March 2019 : the good, the bad and the troubling
MUFG Insurer Conference, London (June 27, 2019)
- Update on the PRA consultation paper — use of insurance and other guarantees for capital relief
Trade Finance Breakfast Seminar (April 25, 2019)
- Policy Wording: Standardisation and the Hunt for Capital Relief
The International Trade and Forfaiting Association, ITFA (November 27, 2018)
- Insurance and finance case law update
(November 22, 2018)
- Insurance claims in trade and project finance projects — how to maximise your chances of recovery
(April 26, 2018)
- Future Shape of Credit Risk Insurance Solutions
The Aon Centre, 122 Leadenhall, London (February 22, 2018)
- Litigation or Arbitration? — The New York - v - English Law Perspective
Pinners Hall, 105-108 Old Broad Street, London EC2N 1EN (September 28, 2017)
- Relationships In and Around Letters of Credit and What to Watch Out For
Pinners Hall 105-108 Old Broad Street, London EC2N 1EN (February 23, 2017)
- Some of Those Annoying Technical Issues in Trade Finance
Pinners Hall, 105-108 Old Broad Street, London EC2N 1EN (January 26, 2017)
- Insurance Act 2015: Practical Tips for Policyholders
Pinners Hall, 105-108 Old Broad Street, London EC2N 1EN (September 29, 2016)
- “Crisis, What Crisis?” – What has the industry worried and what should the industry be worried about?
Pinners Hall, 105-108 Old Broad Street, London EC2N 1EN (July 21, 2016)