Arie’s practice focuses on advising asset managers and fund sponsors, registered funds and trusts, and independent directors on various legal, transactional and compliance matters. He regularly counsels fund management on a range of operational activities, including fund formation, mergers and reorganizations, and liquidations. He has been involved in numerous new product launches, such as volatility managed variable products, liquid alternative strategies, ESG products and thematic exchange-traded fund products.
Arie represents open-end registered funds and their board members in the financial services industry regarding routine and non-routine issues, such as new and ongoing compliance matters, disclosure issues, reorganizations of funds and investment advisers, engagement with the Securities Exchange Commission and other regulators, and the formation, offering and operation of investment companies. He also advises closed-end fund managers and their independent directors on offerings, proxies, tender offers, investor interactions, co-investment transactions, reporting and disclosure requirements and related transactions.
As counsel to independent fund directors, Arie advises board members and committees on relevant regulatory and legal issues, which may include addressing investor issues and interactions with management.
He also has many years of experience analyzing and advising public companies, ranging from new startup companies to Fortune 200 companies, concerning their investment company status under the Investment Company Act of 1940.
Representative Client Work
- Representing multiple mutual funds, exchange-traded funds, closed-end funds, and business development companies and their independent directors in all fund matters, including formation, offering and operation of investment companies; risk management; disclosure issues; and compliance matters
- Counseling clients through complex decision-making, potential violations of laws or regulations, conflicts of interests and responses to shareholder demands
- Advising boards in connection with annual contract renewal process
- Advising fund groups on fund registrations and updates
- Advising closed-end funds with respect to investor matters, proxy matters and disclosure considerations
- Representing closed-end funds and their directors in fund mergers, common and preferred stock rights offerings, and tender offers
- Representing ETFs and their boards in the formation and operation of series of ETFs
- Developing and updating compliance policies and procedures, including for new regulatory requirements
- Advising board and fund management on engagement with the SEC and regulators
- Representing fund advisers and fund boards on acquisitions or sales of investment fund complexes and advisory businesses
- Analyzing public companies and advising on investment company status under the Investment Company Act of 1940
- Represent a life insurance company in the merger of newly acquired funds through its acquisition of another life and annuity complex
- Represent a fund board through the spin-off by a life insurance company of its retail funds and their adviser
- Advise an investment adviser through its acquisition of a series of variable investment funds and the portfolio management group from a life insurance company
- Represent an investment adviser in the acquisition of an unaffiliated fund complex along with its investment adviser and various subsidiary subadvisers
- Represent an investment adviser in the registration and public offering of an existing private investment product
- Oversee and complete the merger of a closed-end fund into an open-end fund
- Represent an investment adviser in its acquisition and operation of a non-traded closed-end fund serving as investment vehicle for pension plans
- Represent variable fund groups in launching new series of managed volatility funds utilizing offshore subsidiaries and interest rate protections for the insurance company issuers
Bar & Court Admissions
- New York
- District of Columbia
- J.D., Georgetown University Law Center
- M.A., Texas A&M University
- B.S., with honors, University of Florida
Client AlertMarch 16, 2020
Press ReleaseNovember 9, 2017