Investing in junior capital – mezzanine debt, second-lien, uni-tranche and multi-tranche debt, structured debt-equity investing, equity co-investments, preferred stock and similar financings – requires a multi-disciplinary legal team.
Whether the capital is being deployed as part of an acquisition, a dividend recap, growth capital or a workout or bankruptcy, our Junior Capital Group has the ability to structure and manage all aspects of the transaction as well as anticipate potential tax, ERISA, regulatory, restructuring and intercreditor issues. The members of our Junior Capital Team have deep experience in traditional commercial lending as well as private equity, venture capital and mergers and acquisitions. This multi-disciplinary team includes support from our Tax, ERISA and Bankruptcy & Restructuring Groups. As a result, we provide the breadth of experience needed to understand the risks of this complex market and to structure these investments to meet the needs of our individual clients.
Representative Client Work
- Advising an institutional investor in a $36 million mezzanine debt financing with an equity co-investment as part of a capital restructuring of a consumer products portfolio company of a private equity fund
- Advising a club of institutional and debt fund investors in a $60 million mezzanine debt financing as part of a private equity buyout of a multi-national manufacturer
- Advising an institutional investor in a $25 million equity co-investment as part of a private equity buyout of a medical services company
- Advising an institutional investor in a $20 million structured preferred stock investment in a healthcare payment processing company
- Advising a mezzanine fund investor in an $11 million second-lien facility as part of a private equity buyout of a commercial equipment manufacturer
- Advising a tax-exempt institutional investor in $25 million of direct equity in a public to private transaction