Assisted Reproductive Technology and Estate Planning
Estate Planning Council of Northern New Jersey - Webinar
November 17, 2021
Carole Bass joined the panel "Assisted Reproductive Technology and Estate Planning," at a webinar sponsored by the Estate Planning Council of Northern New Jersey.
According to the CDC, in 2017, 1.9% of all infants born in the United States were conceived with the use of assisted reproductive technology (ART). New York recently passed legislation that legalizes gestational surrogacy.
The panel discussed the legal issues the legislation poses, and the emerging laws that have been passed to assuage such issues, as well as:
- Estate planning repercussions of ART
- Family law repercussions of ART
- Contracts and other legal documents that control reproductive material
- Disposition of reproductive material upon death or divorce
- New York’s new Child-Parent Security Act and the material requirements of the new law