Independent Contractor v. Employee
Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, Inc.
MCLE Conference Center, Boston, MA
November 24, 2014
Joseph B. Darby III participated in a panel discussion, "Independent Contractor v. Employee," sponsored by the Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, Inc. (MCLE) on November 24, 2014.
Topics of discussion included:
- Overview of Massachusetts wage and hour law as it affects independent contractors
- Latest court decisions interpreting Massachusetts general laws, Chapter 149 Section 148B - the statute that presents the highest legal hurdle for businesses using independent contractors
- Overview of tax issues related to independent contractors
- Effect of November election on enforcement
- Involvement of the Department of Labor, state and federal taxing authorities, and the attorney general in independent contractor matters
- "Ask the experts" Q&A session