Sullivan & Worcester Recognized in the 2022 Edition of Chambers USA
Chambers USA bases its rankings on market research into the strengths and reputations of U.S. attorneys and law firms. Ranking criteria includes technical legal ability, client service, commercial vision and business understanding, diligence, depth of the team, value for money and other qualities most valued by legal clients.
Investment Funds: Registered Funds
Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation (Massachusetts)
Real Estate (Massachusetts)
Individual Rankings/Client Comments
- Ashley Brooks - Real Estate (Massachusetts). Ashley has a burgeoning Boston-based real estate practice. She routinely assists with matters pertaining to acquisitions and developments. She often works on mixed-use residential and retail projects.
- Patrick Dinardo – Bankruptcy/Restructuring (Massachusetts). Pat represents debtors, creditors, creditors' committees and trustees on a variety of bankruptcy disputes, and also assists during acquisitions of distressed assets. "Pat is a strong commercial lawyer who is comfortable handling complex litigation in and outside the bankruptcy courts, and is equally comfortable structuring transactions and settlements. He is always responsive and easy to work with." "He is very good in litigation and as a consensus builder."
- Leigh Gilligan - Environment (Massachusetts). Leigh is particularly skilled in handling environmental issues arising from real estate developments. "Leigh has a depth and breath of knowledge about environmental issues."
- David Guadagnoli – Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation (Massachusetts). David is an accomplished employee benefits practitioner, with notable expertise on the tax aspects of retirement plans and welfare benefits. He is also known for negotiating employment and severance agreements. "He is responsive, has a high level of expertise and considers all facets of the issue at hand." "David is an excellent attorney who always goes above and beyond to deliver top-notch client service."
- David Leahy – Investment Funds: Registered Funds (Nationwide). David is valued for his astute advice to independent trustees and directors of mutual funds, closed-end funds and ETFs.
"David is an excellent service provider with a highly sophisticated knowledge of securities."
- David Mahaffey – Investment Funds: Registered Funds (Nationwide). David is best known for his high-level representation of independent trustees for ETFs and open and closed-end funds. "David provides excellent service and advice and is helpful in analyzing complex situations."
- Ameek Ashok Ponda – Tax (Massachusetts) and REITs (Nationwide). Ameek covers a range of tax-related work, from the structuring of financial instruments and REIT transactions to the tax elements of M&A. "He is an outstandingly good tax lawyer. He's one of the best tax lawyers in the USA.""Ameek is amazingly intelligent and diligent." Ameek's global transactional REIT practice regularly sees him handling REIT conversions as well as M&A. "Ameek is one of the most thoughtful attorneys we have worked with. He is incredibly detailed and thoughtful, yet has the ability to break down detailed transactional points into plain English cause and effect." "Ameek is one of the most technically knowledgeable guys in the market."
- Domenick Pugliese - Investment Funds: Registered Funds (Nationwide). Dom's broad capabilities enable him to handle ETFs and mutual funds matters, with particular expertise in advising independent trustees. "Dom does an outstanding job for the funds and the board. He is also well respected by the industry."
- Nicole Rives - Private Equity: Fund Formation (Massachusetts). Nicole's broad-based private equity practice sees her acting on behalf of both sponsors and institutional investors. "Nicole provides excellent and practical advice."
- Jennifer Schultz - Real Estate: Zoning/Land Use (Massachusetts). Jennifer has a strong real estate practice that focuses on obtaining zoning and land use approvals for a range of clients including developers, REITs and institutional clients. "Jennifer brings an impressive background to the team and it's a pleasure to work with her on complex entitlements projects." "She's very knowledgeable."
- Amy Sheridan – Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation (Massachusetts). Amy has a broad practice and regularly advises on tax compliance, as well as assisting with transactional matters. She is also well-versed in deferred compensation plans. "Amy is efficient, personable and knowledgeable. She is a delight to work with."
- Amy Zuccarello - Bankruptcy/Restructuring (Massachusetts). Amy serves as counsel to creditors and debtors in Chapter 11 bankruptcies and out-of-court restructurings. "Amy has a great understanding of deal dynamics and an ability to see the forest for the trees." "She is very thorough. She really understands the bigger picture."
Chambers recognized the firm's Bankruptcy & Restructuring Group for its skilled handling of contentious and out-of-court bankruptcy and restructuring matters across the USA. The firm is highly recommended for advising on Chapter 11 filings, with niche expertise in aviation. It also regularly advises local and international clients on the sale and acquisition of distressed assets. "They deliver practical advice based on a deep understanding of the law. Lawyers are incredibly responsive and always practical and business-focused in their approach." "A very strong local firm."
Sullivan's Employment & Benefits Group was noted for the breadth of its capabilities in employee benefits matters and for its representation of a range of corporate and individual clients, particularly in the financial services industry. The group is singled out for its expertise in tax implications and considerations of benefit plans, M&A-related matters and compensation arrangements.
Chambers recognized the Investment Management Group for its distinguished registered funds group that handles mutual funds, closed-end funds and ETFs. Particularly well regarded for its strength in independent trustee representation. "The Sullivan & Worcester team is always responsive, and returns calls and advises promptly." "The group has a strong ’40 Act practice." "They have a strong reputation in this space."
Sullivan's Real Estate Group represents a range of operators, developers and REITs in transactional matters, such as acquisitions and dispositions, financings and leases. Adept at handling affordable housing issues, development projects and loan workouts. "They get to know and understand their clients, they are very responsive and they get issues done in a timely manner."
The firm's REITs Group handles a wide spectrum of REIT transactions, including formations, equity and debt offerings and joint ventures. Combines tax structuring expertise with significant experience of advising on complex M&A, often with cross-border elements. "They are responsive, excellent subject matter experts with an in-depth technical knowledge of the area. They are also pragmatic and client service-oriented." "Sullivan & Worcester is top notch. They get to know and understand their clients, they are very responsive and they work the hours necessary to get things done in a timely manner." "They're a very commercial firm. They have their finger on the pulse of the commercial world."
The firm's Tax Group is well regarded for its advice to clients on the taxation of REITs and employee benefit schemes. Also respected for its work on M&A and for its ability to advise clients on international tax work. "I have never had any issues in terms of quality and responsiveness. They're great technical lawyers." "They're smart and sophisticated advisers."
Sullivan & Worcester (Sullivan) is a leading AmLaw 200 law firm. With over 200 attorneys in Boston, London, New York, Tel Aviv and Washington, DC, they guide organizations that are rewriting the rules. Sullivan’s clients, including Fortune 500 companies and emerging businesses, rely on Sullivan’s strategic vision, comfort with complexity and intense focus on results. As a global law firm, Sullivan represents clients around the world and has a deep bench for working on a variety of matters and issues affecting clients.