Sullivan Ranked in the 2018 Edition of Chambers USA
Boston, MA - May 3, 2018 - The 2018 edition of Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business has ranked 11 Sullivan lawyers. Investment Funds: Registered Funds received a Nationwide ranking, and Ameek Ashok Ponda received a Nationwide ranking for Tax: REITs.
Chambers USA ranks lawyers and law firms based on their technical legal ability, professional conduct, client service, commercial astuteness, diligence, commitment and on other qualities most valued by the client.
According to Chambers, "Each Chambers guide is the culmination of thousands of interviews with lawyers and clients carried out by the largest research team of its kind."
Practice Area Rankings
Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation (Massachusetts)
Investment Funds: Registered Funds (Nationwide)
Real Estate (Massachusetts)
Individual Rankings & Recognized Practitioners
- John G. Balboni – Real Estate (Massachusetts)
- Patrick P. Dinardo – Bankruptcy/Restructuring (Massachusetts). Client praise: "His ability to analyze the situation and come up with strategy."
- David A. Guadagnoli – Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation (Massachusetts). Client quote: "Extremely knowledgeable and very pragmatic."
- David M. Leahy – Investment Funds: Registered Funds (Nationwide)
- David C. Mahaffey – Investment Funds: Registered Funds (Nationwide)
- Ameek Ashok Ponda – Tax (Massachusetts) and Tax: REITs (Nationwide). Client quote: "A superior lawyer from a technical perspective, who is knowledgeable about the REIT market and always a pleasure to work with."
- Amy Sheridan – Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation (Massachusetts). Client quote: "Deep technical knowledge. Efficiency, engagement and humor are all strengths of hers."
- Laura Steinberg – Litigation (Massachusetts)
- Douglas S. Stransky – Tax (Massachusetts). Client quote: "An attorney of the highest caliber."
Editorial Comments from Chambers
Chambers recognized the firm's Bankruptcy/Restructuring practice in Band 4 and noted its handling of contentious and out-of-court bankruptcy and restructuring matters across the United States. Highly recommended for advice on Chapter 11 filings, with niche expertise in aviation. Adept at assisting creditor clients with insolvency proceedings in the USA and abroad.
The firm's Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation Group was recognized in Band 3 for the breadth of its capabilities in employee benefits matters and for its representation of a range of corporate and individual clients, particularly in the financial services industry. Singled out for its expertise on the tax implications, particularly pertaining to federal income tax law, and considerations of benefit plans, M&A-related matters and compensation arrangements. Adept at advising on healthcare plans. A source characterizes the team as "extremely knowledgeable, responsive and very pragmatic." Another source states: "They are an integral part of our business and their contributions are valuable to us at all levels."
Chambers ranked the Tax Group in Band 2, saying that it is "Well regarded for its adept representation of a range of clients on national and international tax matters spanning both litigious and non-contentious areas of tax law. Respected for its broad coverage in the space including REIT conversions, estate planning and tax controversies, among other areas. Also handles the structuring of hedge funds, venture capital funds and real estate investment trusts to ensure maximum tax advantage. Ably manages administrative appeals and tax litigation. Clients say: "All of the partners are very efficient and experts in their field who offer accurate and practical advice." Clients describe Sullivan as a "very strong firm with a well-deserved reputation, as well as being very good value for money."
Sullivan is a leading corporate law firm advising clients ranging from Fortune 500 companies to emerging businesses. With more than 175 lawyers in Boston, London, New York and Washington, D.C., the firm offers services in a wide range of areas, including corporate finance, banking, trade finance, securities and mutual funds, litigation, mergers and acquisitions, intellectual property, tax, real estate and REITs, private equity and venture capital, bankruptcy, environment and natural resources, renewable energy and water resources, regulatory law, and employment and benefits. ZAG/Sullivan — a joint venture between Israel-based Zysman, Aharoni, Gayer & Co. and Sullivan — provides counsel to Israel-based companies and U.S. companies with Israeli interests on a variety of legal matters including access to capital markets, corporate issues, and tax. For more information please visit www.sullivanlaw.com.