Sullivan Ranked in the 2020 Edition of Chambers USA
Boston, MA - The 2020 edition of Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business has ranked seven Sullivan lawyers. Investment Funds: Registered Funds received a Nationwide ranking, and Ameek Ashok Ponda received a Nationwide ranking for Tax: REITs.
Chambers USA ranks lawyers and law firms based on their technical legal ability, professional conduct, client service, commercial astuteness, diligence, commitment and on other qualities most valued by the client.
Practice Area Rankings
Investment Funds: Registered Funds (Nationwide)
Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation (Massachusetts)
Individual Rankings/Editorial Comments
- Patrick Dinardo – Bankruptcy/Restructuring (Massachusetts). Pat advises on bankruptcy cases as part of his wider disputes practice. Interviewees call him a "skilled and practical negotiator" and an "excellent litigator." Sources express admiration for Pat, observing that he "has an incredible reputation and is a great commercial litigator."
- David Guadagnoli – Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation (Massachusetts). David is an accomplished employee benefits lawyer, with notable expertise on the tax aspects of retirement plans and welfare benefits. Clients say: "He always goes above and beyond and is very approachable and knowledgeable."
- David Leahy – Investment Funds: Registered Funds (Nationwide). David is valued for his astute advice to independent trustees and directors of mutual funds, closed-end funds and ETFs. Clients know him as "a really good lawyer; he knows the law, knows the regulation and he's very good at highlighting the really important issue to focus on."
- David Mahaffey – Investment Funds: Registered Funds (Nationwide). David is "extremely knowledgeable" and "an outstanding lawyer," according to clients. He is best known for his high-level representation of independent trustees.
- Ameek Ashok Ponda – Tax (Massachusetts) and Tax: REITs (Nationwide). Ameek is "a good technical practitioner who is hard-working and well known in the market," say interviewees. His practice covers a range of tax-related work, from the structuring of financial instruments and REIT transactions to the tax elements of M&A.
- Domenick Pugliese - Investment Funds: Registered Funds (Nationwide). Dom's broad capabilities enable him to handle ETFs and manager of managers funds. Sources declare him to be "an excellent lawyer," particularly for his work as independent trustee counsel.
- Amy Sheridan – Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation (Massachusetts). According to interviewees, Amy "is a very good technical lawyer with a strong tax background." She has a broad practice and regularly advises on tax compliance, as well as assisting with transactional matters.
Practice Rankings/Editorial Comments
Chambers recognized the firm's Bankruptcy/Restructuring Group in Band 3 and noted its skilled handling of contentious and out-of-court bankruptcy and restructuring matters across the United States. The group is highly recommended for advising on Chapter 11 filings, with niche expertise in aviation. Interviewees say: "They are very diligent and work with their clients to protect their interests. They are also very creative in the way that they approach particular situations."
The firm's Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation Group was recognized in Band 3 and noted for its capabilities in employee benefits matters and for its representation of a range of corporate and individual clients, particularly in the financial services industry. The group was singled out for its expertise in tax implications and considerations of benefit plans, M&A-related matters and compensation arrangements. One client appreciates that the group is "incredibly knowledgeable around legal and compliance issues related to employment benefit plans." Interviewees say: "It has a very solid benefits and executive compensation team; it is technically very good and a collaborative working group."
Chambers ranked the Investment Management Group in Band 4 for its distinguished registered funds group handling mutual funds, closed-end funds and ETFs. The group is particularly well regarded for its strength in independent trustee representation. Clients observe that "the overall level of service is outstanding; they respond quickly, the team has extensive knowledge, great communication skills and provides us with excellent advice." Others describe the team as "high-quality with good depth."
Chambers ranked the Tax Group in Band 3 as being well regarded for its adept representation of a range of clients on national and international tax matters spanning both litigious and noncontentious areas of tax law. The group is respected for its broad coverage in the space, including REIT conversions, estate planning and tax controversies, among other areas. They handle the structuring of acquisitions, financings and REITs to ensure maximum tax advantage, as well as managing administrative appeals and tax litigation.
Sullivan & Worcester (Sullivan) is a leading AmLaw 200 law firm. With over 200 attorneys in Boston, London, New York, Tel Aviv and Washington, DC, Sullivan guides organizations that are rewriting the rules. Sullivan’s clients, including Fortune 500 companies and emerging businesses, rely on Sullivan’s strategic vision, comfort with complexity and intense focus on results. As a global law firm, Sullivan’s reach extends beyond the United States. With international practices in the United Kingdom and Israel, Sullivan has represented clients around the world and has a deep bench for working on a variety of matters and issues affecting clients globally.