Sullivan Ranked in the 2019 Edition of Chambers USA
Boston, MA - April 25, 2019- The 2019 edition of Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business has ranked seven Sullivan lawyers. Investment Funds: Registered Funds received a Nationwide ranking, and Ameek Ashok Ponda received a Nationwide ranking for Tax: REITs.
Chambers USA ranks lawyers and law firms based on their technical legal ability, professional conduct, client service, commercial astuteness, diligence, commitment and on other qualities most valued by the client.
Practice Area Rankings
Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation (Massachusetts)
Investment Funds: Registered Funds (Nationwide)
Real Estate (Massachusetts)
Individual Rankings & Recognized Practitioners
- Patrick P. Dinardo – Bankruptcy/Restructuring (Massachusetts). Sources express admiration for Pat, observing that he "has an incredible reputation and is a great commercial litigator."
- David A. Guadagnoli – Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation (Massachusetts). David is widely praised for his expertise in tax-related issues within the employee benefit space. One impressed client reports that he is "thoughtful, has a high level of expertise and provides helpful, practical advice."
- David M. Leahy – Investment Funds: Registered Funds (Nationwide). David is "an outstanding lawyer and has extensive knowledge of the SEC laws and the operations of the mutual fund industry," clients state. He is best known for representing boards of trustees of mutual funds.
- David C. Mahaffey – Investment Funds: Registered Funds (Nationwide). David advises registered funds and their independent directors. Clients report that he is "very knowledgeable in matters relating to the ’40 Act and related securities laws. He is responsive, thoughtful and helpful."
- Ameek Ashok Ponda – Tax (Massachusetts) and Tax: REITs (Nationwide). Ameek is regarded by sources as "a go-to lawyer on REIT and international tax structuring matters," adding that "he has an intimate knowledge of historical and current REIT provisions and knows the market very well." He is proficient in handling the tax aspects of a wide variety of REIT transactions, including conversions.
- Amy Sheridan – Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation (Massachusetts). Amy handles equity-based compensation matters and works within the ERISA space. One client commented that "she's smart, hard-working and has had a lot of success."
- Douglas S. Stransky – Tax (Massachusetts). Doug is reputed for his international tax planning work for clients looking to invest outside of the US. He advises a diverse client base including financial institutions, funds and leading corporates. Sources confirm that "Doug is fantastic for international tax" and praise him as "knowledgeable, experienced and responsive."
Editorial Comments from Chambers
Chambers recognized the firm's Bankruptcy/Restructuring Group in Band 3 and noted its skilled handling of contentious and out-of-court bankruptcy and restructuring matters across the United States. The group was highly recommended for advice on Chapter 11 filings, with niche expertise in aviation and its ability to assist creditor clients with insolvency proceedings in the United States and abroad.
The firm's Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation Group was recognized in Band 3 and noted for the breadth of its capabilities in employee benefits matters and for its representation of a range of corporate and individual clients, particularly in the financial services industry. The group was singled out for its expertise in tax implications, particularly pertaining to federal income tax law, and considerations of benefit plans, M&A-related matters and compensation arrangements. One client noted: "Sullivan & Worcester are top notch, providing high-caliber services in a wide range of legal areas. Their dedication is extraordinary."
Chambers ranked the Tax Group in Band 2 as being well regarded for its adept representation of a range of clients on national and international tax matters spanning both litigious and non-contentious areas of tax law. The Group is respected for its broad coverage in the space, including REIT conversions, estate planning and tax controversies, among other areas. Also handles the structuring of hedge funds, venture capital funds and REITs to ensure maximum tax advantage. Ably manages administrative appeals and tax litigation. One client noted: "We have had nothing but positive experiences with them – it is truly an advantage to have them on our side."
Sullivan & Worcester (Sullivan) is a leading AmLaw 200 law firm. With over 200 attorneys in Boston, London, New York, Tel Aviv and Washington, DC, Sullivan guides organizations that are rewriting the rules. Sullivan’s clients, including Fortune 500 companies and emerging businesses, rely on Sullivan’s strategic vision, comfort with complexity and intense focus on results. As a global law firm, Sullivan’s reach extends beyond the United States. With international practices in the United Kingdom and Israel, Sullivan has represented clients around the world and has a deep bench for working on a variety of matters and issues affecting clients globally.