Sullivan Recognized in the 2021 Edition of Chambers USA
Boston, MA - Sullivan is pleased to announce that its practice groups and attorneys have once again been ranked by Chambers USA in its annual rankings of the foremost law firms and lawyers in the country. The 2021 edition of Chambers USA recognized Sullivan in a number of categories and ranked nine Sullivan attorneys as "leaders in their fields." In addition, Ameek Ashok Ponda received a Nationwide ranking for Tax: REITs.
Chambers USA bases its rankings on market research into the strengths and reputations of U.S. attorneys and law firms. Interviews are conducted with clients and attorneys across the nation to enable Chambers USA to assess technical legal ability, professional conduct, client service, commercial astuteness, diligence, commitment and other valued qualities.
Investment Funds: Registered Funds
Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation (Massachusetts)
Real Estate (Massachusetts)
Individual Rankings and Editorial
- Patrick Dinardo – Bankruptcy/Restructuring (Massachusetts). Pat represents debtors, creditors, creditors' committees and trustees on a variety of bankruptcy disputes, and also assists during acquisitions of distressed assets. "He is hard-working, decisive and timely." "He is a good strategic litigator."
- David Guadagnoli – Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation (Massachusetts). David is an accomplished employee benefits practitioner, with notable expertise on the tax aspects of retirement plans and welfare benefits. He is also known for negotiating employment and severance agreements. "David is extremely knowledgeable and responsive and always willing to go the extra mile." "He is a very smart individual, with a really good rapport with his clients, and explains things in a very nontechnical way."
- David Leahy – Investment Funds: Registered Funds (Nationwide). David is valued for his astute advice to independent trustees and directors of mutual funds, closed-end funds and ETFs.
"David is knowledgeable about the laws and best practices for dealing with matters of interest to the trustees." "He is knowledgeable, up to date, thoughtful and prompt."
- David Mahaffey – Investment Funds: Registered Funds (Nationwide). David is best known for his high-level representation of independent trustees for ETFs and open and closed-end funds.
"He's an excellent lawyer and I was impressed by his approach to addressing legal issues." "He is knowledgeable, experienced and supportive."
- Ameek Ashok Ponda – Tax (Massachusetts) and Tax: REITs (Nationwide). Ameek covers a range of tax-related work, from the structuring of financial instruments and REIT transactions to the tax elements of M&A."He is a really strong practitioner; he is super knowledgeable, and has a dynamic practice.""He is fabulous; he is a really smart practitioner who thinks ahead of issues in effective ways.""He has phenomenal REIT expertise."
- Domenick Pugliese - Investment Funds: Registered Funds (Nationwide). Dom's broad capabilities enable him to handle ETFs and mutual funds matters, with particular expertise in advising independent trustees."He has a strong trustee practice and he's well regarded in that space."
- Nicole Rives - Private Equity: Fund Formation (Massachusetts). Nicole's broad-based private equity practice sees her acting on behalf of both sponsors and institutional investors.
"She is extremely bright, thoughtful and practical."
- Jennifer Schultz - Real Estate: Zoning/Land Use (Massachusetts). Jennifer has a strong real estate practice that focuses on obtaining zoning and land use approvals for a range of clients including developers, REITs and institutional clients. "She knows what she is doing. She is very smart and has a really, really good manner about her." "She knows all the key players in the city, which makes the process easier."
- Amy Sheridan – Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation (Massachusetts). Amy has a broad practice and regularly advises on tax compliance, as well as assisting with transactional matters. She is also well-versed in deferred compensation plans. "Amy is stellar at seeing an issue from multiple sides and discussing pros/cons and risks of various approaches on a topic.""She is very knowledgeable and always provides an answer and/or guidance in a timely manner."
Practice Rankings/Editorial Comments
Chambers recognized the firm's Bankruptcy & Restructuring Group for its skilled handling of contentious and out-of-court bankruptcy and restructuring matters across the United States. The team was highly recommended for advising on Chapter 11 filings, with niche expertise in aviation. They also regularly advises local and international clients on the sale and acquisition of distressed assets. "I felt very well represented," comments an interviewee, adding: "The are very competent and responsive." Sources describe the team as "very commercially oriented, practical and client-focused." Another commentator praises the firm's "outstanding attorneys with excellent knowledge of the bond industry."
The firm's Employment & Benefits Group was noted for the breadth of its capabilities in employee benefits matters and for its representation of a range of corporate and individual clients, particularly in the financial services industry. The team was singled out for its expertise in tax implications and considerations of benefit plans, M&A-related matters and compensation arrangements. Clients say the firm is "highly skilled, knowledgeable, and takes a 360-degree view on issues." They add that "its counsel has been instrumental to successful outcomes for our firm and clients." Another client reports: "I am always confident that the services I receive from Sullivan & Worcester can be trusted." Sources say Sullivan is"very knowledgeable, combining subject matter expertise with practical and pragmatic advice," adding that it is "very easy to interact with the firm and understand its advice."
Chambers recognized the Investment Management Group for its handling of mutual funds, closed-end funds and ETFs. The team is particularly well regarded for its strength in independent trustee representation. Their "representation of independent directors and trustees of regulated ’40 Act funds has been a distinct specialty of the firm for many years, and they have a deep concentration in this area," said a source. Sources appreciate the team's "very able practitioners in this specialized field."
Sullivan's Real Estate Group was noted for its representation of a range of operators, developers and REITs in transactional matters, such as acquisitions and dispositions, financings and leases. Adept at handling affordable housing issues, development projects and loan workouts. One client remarks: "They are excellent, hard-working and decisive." Another reports: "They are responsive and professional."
According to Chambers, the firm's REITs Group is known for handling a wide spectrum of REIT transactions, including formations, equity and debt offerings and joint ventures. The team combines tax structuring expertise with significant experience of advising on complex M&A, often with cross-border elements. Sources state: "Sullivan & Worcester has one of the top REIT practice teams for technology companies." One source describes the team as "a very strong REIT team. They are highly responsive and quite skilled with virtually all types of capital markets products that REITs issue." "We use them because they deliver top-notch results," says another.
The firm's Tax Group was noted for its advice to clients on the taxation of REITs and employee benefit schemes. The team is respected for its work on M&A and for its ability to advise clients on international tax work. Clients say the team has "deep technical skills and the ability to synthesize complex matters into practical and actionable advice through their unique expertise." Another client praises their ability to "understand and execute complicated deals."
Sullivan & Worcester (Sullivan) is a leading AmLaw 200 law firm. With more than 200 attorneys in Boston, London, New York, Tel Aviv and Washington, DC, Sullivan combines the breadth of experience and sophistication you expect from a prominent, top-tier law firm with an unusually creative and flexible approach. Sullivan’s clients, including Fortune 500 companies and emerging businesses, rely on Sullivan’s strategic vision, comfort with complexity, and intense focus on results. Sullivan has represented clients around the world and has a deep bench for working on a variety of matters and issues affecting clients globally. For more information, please visit sullivanlaw.com.