Singapore is consistently among the largest sources of foreign investment in United States commercial real estate. Bridging Sullivan's International Tax, Real Estate, Corporate, and REIT practice groups, we have assisted some of Singapore’s largest and most active U.S. investors in structuring their U.S. acquisitions and global financing structures to minimize global tax friction, establishing and managing their United States holding structures, and successfully concluding acquisitions of real estate.
We advise investment managers on both on-balance sheet investments and managed funds, including advising Singapore REIT managers on planned and completed initial public offerings and follow-on public offerings. Our diverse team was U.S. counsel and tax advisors to the first pure play U.S. office REIT to be listed in Asia for its Singapore IPO and initial investments. As our Singapore practice has grown, we have continued to offer our clients creative and practical solutions to changes in domestic and foreign tax laws and facilitate evolving financing structures.
Representative Client Work
- U.S. tax, corporate and acquisition counsel to the first pure-play U.S. office REIT to be listed in Asia for its Singapore IPO, initial and subsequent investments, and ongoing U.S. tax compliance matters, including critical global restructuring in response to the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act
- Advised a Singapore-based bank on its U.S. asset management activities and U.S. investment adviser requirements
- Represented an office REIT on an Asian stock exchange and an IPO on the Singapore Exchange Securities Trading Limited
- Successfully represented a multinational investment bank for Commercial Court judgment in the bank's favor against the Singaporean branch of a Malaysian bank
- Represented a Singapore-based asset manager in all aspects of its acquisition of a portfolio of 33 high-quality office properties in the United States