Global Reach - Cross-Border Deals
Our lawyers bring an extensive track record in representing companies and investors globally. This wealth of experience has given us the opportunity to work with numerous companies in Asia. Through our many representations, we can provide unparalleled support and advice on understanding the needs and challenges facing international companies doing business in Asia and, in particular, Chinese, East Asian and Singaporean companies interested in doing business outside of Asia.
China & East Asia
Our China & East Asia practice delivers a wide array of legal and corporate advisory services to our international clients. We help companies to overcome the challenges of operating in China and assist them in converting challenges to business opportunities. Our team of seasoned lawyers provide unparalleled expertise on the complex regional corporate and regulatory environments. This makes us the destination of choice for international companies in their activities and complex projects throughout China, including Beijing, Shanghai, Shenzhen, and Guangzhou, as well as in Hong Kong and Taiwan. With our immersion in the Chinese & East Asian markets, we have an expansive network of reliable and long-lasting relationships that help facilitate complex cross-border deals.
Regulations and policies in China and East Asia are complex and constantly changing. Our experience in representing foreign companies in the region facilitates the procedural and legal proceedings for our clients and promotes their legal and business activities.
Singapore is consistently among the largest source of foreign investment in United States commercial real estate. Bridging Sullivan's International Tax, Real Estate, Corporate, and REIT practice groups, we have assisted some of Singapore’s largest and most active U.S. investors in structuring their U.S. acquisitions and global financing structures to minimize global tax friction, establishing and managing their United States holding structures, and successfully concluding acquisitions of real estate.
We advise investment managers on both on-balance sheet investments and managed funds, including advising Singapore REIT managers on planned and completed initial public offerings and follow-on public offerings. Our diverse team was U.S. counsel and tax advisors to the first pure play U.S. office REIT to be listed in Asia for its Singapore IPO and initial investments. As our Singapore practice has grown, we have continued to offer our clients creative and practical solutions to changes in domestic and foreign tax laws and facilitate evolving financing structures.
Representative Client Work
- Representing Hamlet (Israel – Canada), a large Israeli company that develops and manufactures mechanical accessories for industrial control and monitoring systems, in the acquisition of a large Chinese company that manufactures valves and connectors for large Chinese companies in the industrial sector. The legal service included due diligence and legal advice on transaction documents, purchase agreement and subsequent registration procedures. In addition, advising the company with respect to land evacuation and compensation agreements and an investment agreement for the construction of a new plant. The transaction is estimated at NIS 70 million.
- Representing Telit Communications PLC, a multinational IOT corporation, in the acquisition of a Chinese IOT company. The legal service included due diligence and legal advice on the transaction documents, purchase agreement and the subsequent registration procedures. In addition, our firm provides ongoing legal services for the company.
- Representing MIS Implants Technologies, a multinational dental corporation, in the establishment of a company in China and Hong Kong. The legal representation included obtaining type 2 and type 3 licenses for the sale of medical products in China and ongoing representation of the Company.
- Representing Azrom, an Israeli agricultural company, in a series of agreements, including agreements with the local governments in Yunnan and Guangzhou for the construction of large greenhouses projects in China.
- Representing Kamedis, a medical cosmetics company, in the establishment of a joint venture in China, and legal support with commercial agreements, employment contracts, and taxation issues.
- Representing an online gaming company in agreements with a local distributor.
- Representing a U.S. fertility clinic in an agreement to acquire 20% of the shares of a Chinese company, which provides medical services in the field of fertility, and a distribution agreement in China, including negotiations with the Chinese company and its shareholders.
- Representing a company in a financial fraud lawsuit in China. In the lawsuit, the court rendered a judgment in favor of the company and approved our request to enforce the verdict in the local court, following which the company received the money it demanded.
- Representing an Israeli vehicle parts company drafting a JV agreement in China for the establishment of a joint venture engaging in the distribution of automotive spare parts.
- Representation and accompaniment of a Chinese digital currency company in the establishment of R&D center in Israel, as well as providing advice on investments in Israeli companies.
- Representing a European bank in the examination of contracts in China.
- Representing SITI, a Shanghai based incubator and investment fund, in the establishment of a company in Israel, including providing ongoing consultation on activities and investments in Israel. In addition, our firm serves as the legal advisor of the Innovation Center at the Zhangjiang Hi-Tech Park in Pudong, Shanghai.
- Providing legal advice to Eran Zahavi, an elite Israeli soccer player, before signing an agreement with one of the leading soccer teams in China.
- U.S. tax, corporate and acquisition counsel to the first pure-play U.S. office REIT to be listed in Asia for its Singapore IPO, initial and subsequent investments, and ongoing U.S. tax compliance matters, including critical global restructuring in response to the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act.
- Advised a Singapore-based bank on its U.S. asset management activities and U.S. investment adviser requirements.
- Represented an office REIT on an Asian stock exchange and an IPO on the Singapore Exchange Securities Trading Limited.
- Successfully represented a multinational investment bank for Commercial Court judgment in the bank's favor against the Singaporean branch of a Malaysian bank.
- Represented a Singapore-based asset manager in all aspects of its acquisition of a portfolio of 33 high-quality office properties in the United States.