Manager of Professional Development – Boston
The Manager of Professional Development works with the Director of Strategic Talent Management to design and implement programs focused on attorney on-boarding, core legal and professional skills, and leadership development, as well as cultural initiatives around engagement, work-life effectiveness, and other areas. The Manager designs and implements innovative and impactful learning programs, including curricula for the firm’s business units and legal practice areas, plus core skills training programs in the areas of feedback, people and project management, business development, and communications skills.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work collaboratively across departments and functions to develop and realize a comprehensive talent development strategy
- Build core legal skills training programs to support associate and professional track attorney development of core competencies, and to develop a core curriculum of training for the Business Units and practice areas
- Develop an approach for the Business Units to monitor their pipeline of talent, identify the learning and/or development needs of attorneys in the group, and provide appropriate client opportunities, training, mentoring, coaching, and resources to help them develop
- Partner with Director to improve all firm training programs and tools to be more interactive, practical, and effective, applying advanced adult learning theory and relevant technologies
- Manage effective work brokering system for each department
- Manage associate performance review cycles (e.g., annual reviews, interim evaluations, performance improvement plans)
- Partner with Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee and Women’s Initiative to assist with ongoing initiatives
- Maintain an understanding of the firm’s competitors and their professional development programs
- Oversee flexible work arrangement program for legal staff and continuing legal education (CLE) course accreditation and compliance program
- Serve ex officio as a member of the Associates Committee and coordinate quarterly meetings
- Manage effective and consistent programs to enhance the work/life effectiveness for attorneys
- Assume additional responsibilities as requested
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Juris Doctorate strongly preferred
- Minimum of 4 years of practice in a large law firm and/or 3 years of professional development experience in a leading professional services firm
- Professional coaching certification and/or teaching experience considered a plus
- Experience with CLE course accreditation and compliance considered a plus
- Familiarity with organizational development, curriculum management, instructional design, learning management systems, adult learning techniques, principles, theory and online learning technologies also considered a plus
- Excellent attention to detail, organizational, interpersonal, teamwork and communication skills, as well as the ability to listen well, take initiative and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Must be a diplomatic and creative problem solver and possess superior judgment
- Proven ability to build trust with and gain buy-in from firm leaders and other key stakeholders
- Ability to travel to multiple firm office locations as needed
Sullivan is a leading corporate law firm advising clients ranging from Fortune 500 companies to emerging businesses. With more than 200 lawyers in Boston, London, New York, Tel Aviv and Washington, D.C., the firm offers services in a wide range of areas, including corporate finance, banking, trade finance, securities and mutual funds, litigation, mergers and acquisitions, intellectual property, tax, real estate and REITs, private equity and venture capital, bankruptcy, environment and natural resources, regulatory law, and employment and benefits.
We welcome inquiries from all who are interested in learning more about our firm. For additional information please direct inquiries to:
Sullivan & Worcester LLP
One Post Office Square
Boston, MA 02109
Attn: Human Resources
Sullivan & Worcester LLP is an equal opportunity employer. This means that Sullivan & Worcester LLP considers applicants for employment, and makes employment decisions without unlawful regard to sex, race, color, religion, citizenship, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, age, marital or domestic partner/civil union status, military service, or veteran status, physical and mental disability, and any other characteristic covered by applicable federal, state or local nondiscrimination laws.